Thursday, October 30, 2008

I'm in LOVE...

...with our library

Lately we have been going about once a week to stock up on lots and lots of books. Having run out of all the favorites I now go down the shelves randomly pulling out books. Hannah stays very amused and entertained during all this by playing in the children's lounge area, complete with a wooden barn (her favorite) and puzzles. She squeals the whole time, I worry they might kick us out for the loud squealing but so far not even an old crossed librarian shushing us.

Now so far the random picking of books has been working for us and we end up with a book bag over flowing by the time we leave, but I still can't help wanting to find the BEST books out there. Like BEST as in Skippyjon Jones BEST. (Ok, really I just like Skippyjon Jones because I get to do a Mexican accent.)


Anyways, I'm in need of suggestions. Let's play Reading Rainbow...
What books do you and your kids LOVE?! Or that you loved as a Kid? I LOVE Bright, Crazy Illustrations...any suggestions!?

7 comments:

Carolyn Nelson said...

As a child, I remember all the Dr Seuss books. I especially remember "Horton the Elephant" and the "Cat in the Hat" I think Hannah would love "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish."

Janell R. Cropper said...

Reading rainbow with childrens books...I could basically go on forever! :) Dr. Seuss are always fun. Steven absolutely loves "Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?" Also, Harold and the Purple Crayon is excellent. I like the Berenstein Bears, The Froggy books, Curious George, and some new ones are about Russell the Sheep (particularly, Russell and the Lost Treasure). (I collect Children's books..I have lots more that I love).

THE BROOKS CLAN said...

Well Corban loves loves loves cars (or anything with wheels) right now. I don't know if that works for Hannah, but that's about all I can get Corban to sit through right now, unless it's one of our books that he knows.

We did just get one from the library that I enjoyed. It's called Dinosaurumpus. It's a fun one!

However, I love all Dr. Seuss, Berenstein Bears... Uhmm, I'll have to keep thinking, I know there are a ton out there that I love.

One brand of books we have really been enjoying is Usborne. I have yet to find one of those that Corban doesn't like. Oh, and he really really likes peak-a-boo books, and is now really getting into the find it books and puzzle books (the really really, is for the peak-a-boo books, we read ours at least three times a day, Corbans request).

Anonymous said...

Goodnight Moon
Caps for sale
Baby says
Harold and the purple crayon

Anonymous said...

If you give a mouse a cookie is sooooo cute, and george shrinks too. Love, Steph

Danielle said...

Thanks for all the great suggestions! You all reminded me of some I read as a kid that I had totally forgotten about. I now have a pretty lengthy list and we are off to the library!

Kassie said...

Hey Dannie!!!
It's Kassie! I'm so glad you found my blog!!! I Hannah is a doll!! I bet you have so much fun everyday!!! So, about your children's books suggestions, let me spiel off some to you that I just love!!! My very favorite children's book of all time is Fanny's Dream. I can't remember who the authors, you could probably look them up on google. The Very Hungry Catterpillar. Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Courderoy (SP?) If you give a mouse a cookie. I went Walking. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, etc. I can't think of more right now, sorry. I hope that will give you a start lol. Happy Blogging! -Kassie