*** (an addition to explain why our munchkin had a sleep study) Hannah has always breathed loudly, but since having problems with allergies her sleeping has become quite worrisome. She often stops breathing for short periods, will gasp for air, usually tosses and turns a lot, snores, and has coughing fits while asleep. This led the pediatrician to believe that the allergies have irritated her tonsils and adenoids, enlarging them and has caused sleep apnea. Because Hannah is so young a sleep test is needed to see if she has sleep apnea to determine if tonsillectomy is a must.***
Last night Hannah and I stayed at the Children's Hospital so she could have her sleep study. She was pretty leery of her new surroundings at first but her doctor was wonderful and she got use to her him right away though. The doctor even let Hannah be his "assistant", handing him gauze and the clear patches when he asked for them- it was cute. Half way through the application process of everything though she started freaking out. Her doctor was so awesome about it and patient (not like there was really any other choice, I guess).



Hannah hated the wires stuck to her head and the one on her toe. I knew we were in for some 'fun' seeing how she doesn't like band-aids put on her at home, let alone gauze, glue, and wires stuck to her! After falling asleep though she only woke up once and that was when we had to try and roll her onto her back, she then decided it would be a good idea to rip off her wires on her head. That was proceeded with an hour of crying until I could get her to fall back to sleep, and then she slept the rest of the night. The doctor had to keep coming in though to reapply wires since her crazy restless sleeping kept ripping them off.
Once Hannah woke up in the morning she was fine and in a great mood! They took the wires off and she was content to sit and eat breakfast while observing her new 'bedroom'. So content though that she cried when we left the hospital, pointing back to the building and crying "No, no go!"
Finally asleep!
Notice the gauze has come off... she tosses and turns that much!
Finally, it's Morning! (side note: that isn't blood on her forehead, it's from the red marker they use to mark where wires should go.)
And yes, we give her fruit snacks for breakfast. After a night like that if she had wanted a chocolate milkshake for breakfast I would have happily obliged!
7 comments:
Oh my! Why the sleep study? Testing for apnea?
Let Hannah know we love her. Poor girl has gone through a lot. I know how it feels to have wires on the head and it sucks. Give her a hug and a kiss for us.
I'm so glad it went okay! That last picture reminded me so much of Natalie after her sleep study. Hope you got some rest, sorry I forgot to call you wednesday about it - but I probably would have interupted your sleep.
Finding out results and fixing anything that needs to be fixed will make life much easier for our darling Hannah. It's quite the experience staying in a hospital with a little one. I did it twice with Andrea - once when she was three and for a week when she was in first grade - both for asthma.
Sheesh!!!! What a night! And how did Mom sleep? Not so well, I bet....I hope everything turns out alright. I just got my tonsils out and I would highly recommend it!!! Ü (that is, the YOUNGER you are, the more highly I would recommend it Ü)
Oh my, that doesn't look like fun. I hope it helps though. Good luck!
I didn't know that! How did it go???
Post a Comment