Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Cup Runneth Over





WARNING... YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ A NOVEL...MAINLY BECAUSE MY CUP IS REALLY RUNNING OVER...IT'S A FLOOD!



I love Mother's Day Sacrament meeting, not because of the freebie at the end (although that's nice) but because of the wonderful talks about Mothers and the singing of primary children.  Our Bishop gave an especially good talk about all women of the church being Mothers. He quoted from the ensign for most of his talk. My favorite was taken from an article in the October 1987 Ensign by Patricia Holland titled "One Thing Needful": Becoming Women of Greater Faith in Christ.  Our Bishop only skimmed over the talk because of time but once we arrived home I decided to look the article up online. I encourage everyone to go read it HERE. My favorite part is at the very end of the article (it's kind of long but good)...

"....Then, in a poignant exchange with God, Adam states that he will call the woman Eve. And why does he call her Eve? “Because she [is] the mother of all living.”

As I tenderly acknowledge the very real pain that many single women, or married women who have not borne children, feel about any discussion of motherhood, could we consider this one possibility about our eternal female identity—our unity in our diversity? Eve was given the identity of “the mother of all living”—years, decades, perhaps centuries before she ever bore a child. It would appear that her motherhood preceded her maternity,just as surely as the perfection of the Garden preceded the struggles of mortality. I believe Mother is one of those very carefully chosen words, one of those rich words—with meaning after meaning after meaning. We must not, at all costs, let that word divide us. I believe with all my heart that it is first and foremost a statement about our nature, not a head count of our children.

...Some women give birth and raise children but never “mother” them. Others, whom I love with all my heart, “mother” all their lives but have never given birth. And all of us are Eve’s daughters, whether we are married or single, maternal or barren. We are created in the image of the Gods to become gods and goddesses. And we can provide something of that divine pattern, that maternal prototype, for each other and for those who come after us. Whatever our circumstance, we can reach out, touch, hold, lift, and nurture—but we cannot do it in isolation. We need a community of sisters stilling the soul and binding the wounds of fragmentation. I know that God loves us individually and collectively as women, and that he has a mission for every one of us. As I learned on my Galilean hillside, I testify that if our desires are righteous, God overrules for our good and that heavenly parents will tenderly attend to our needs. In our diversity and individuality, my prayer is that we will be united—united in seeking specific, foreordained mission, united in asking not,“What can the kingdom do for me?” but “What can I do for the kingdom? How can I fulfill the measure of creation? In my circumstances and with my challenges and my faith, where is my realization of the godly image in which I was created?"

My own cup runneth over because of all the wonderful Mothers in my life. I know God placed them in my life to help guide and teach me. I have been blessed to have women who have let me cry on their shoulders, who have literally given me a place to live, helped me financially, and most importantly helped me spiritually. 

I can think of a few women when my own Mother couldn't physically be there because of miles between us, they helped me through during a difficult period in my life. They knew and had taken upon them the divine calling of Motherhood and were by me. They gave me strength both spiritually and physically. 

Then I met Chris and his wonderful Mom. I have been blessed to have a Mother in Law that carries the same wonderful qualities as my own Mother. From day one she took me in like I was her own child. I felt comfortable around her and I even remember when I first starting dating Chris that things better work out between us because I enjoyed his Mom to much! She is selfless, good natured, and a spiritual giant. For these reasons, when we still lived in Utah even at times when I missed my Mother deeply I would find comfort in being around Chris' Mom. I am also thankful for our Aunt Carolyn. I can't talk about Mothers without mentioning her. She too is a great example in our lives. She is always thinking of us and is so in tuned with the spirit. So many times I'll be thinking about something we want or need and she'll be the one to answer that prayer, even something little like Stephens Hot Chocolate for the winter. 

Of course I can't go without mentioning the most significant woman in my life- my Mother. She has taught me so many life lessons. My mom is a strong woman, that says it how it is, shares a passion for reading and learning, and lives closest to the law of consecration then anyone I know. She has shown me how to serve, not to judge, how to practice faith, and many more things.  While I still strive to demonstrate all she has taught me, I still have a long way to go. But I am so grateful for her example and teachings that I can bring into my own family. My mom is also a great listener. I love how she just says it how it is. She is such a strong woman who has had her fair share of trials but just accepts them as part of life. When my Mom was 26 (and on her wedding day, none the less) she lost her own Mom to cancer. I often think about what it would be like to not have my Mother at my wedding or have her there when Hannah was born or any of our other huge milestones. I can't even comprehend it. My Mom on the other hand fully understands the atonement and while I'm sure it is extremely hard not to have her Mother around, she has one of the strongest testimonies I know of eternal families. A while back when a friend of mine lost her husband I was asking my Mom how in the world does someone get through such a thing, how do you survive, How can one be so strong (referring to my friend). Straight to the point my Mother said "You just do, You have to, You don't have a choice."  That answer as stuck with me because it shows of her testimony and strength. I want to be like that, I strive to be like that.  She will endure to the end, without a doubt and I am thankful for that example. 

Lastly and randomly, My cup runneth over because of the wonderful women I have met here in Oklahoma. They have taught me about serving, sharing talents, and the gospel. I look up to them and am so thankful that my family and I are where we are at in this time of life. To be honest, I have struggled with this new Motherly role. I can truthfully say it has taken me a good 18 months to feel like I am a decent Mom and to be totally in love with this calling. I am so thankful for the example of the women in our ward, they are incredible Mothers. They don't compete with each other like so many other women do. They have taught me self confidence in my own role as a Mother. Even if it is just for this one year, I know we moved here in an answer to my prayers. In amongst the Ghettoness of Okeyville I have found Sisters in Zion, and I am so thankful for their examples. 

I hope everyone has had an incredible Mother's Day! Thank you to everyone who have been Mothers (and Sisters) to me and my family.  (And if you think I'm not talking about you, well I am! I just want to note really quick since I've written a novel anyway, that all of our friends that have not had children of their own (yet) have still taught me so much about Motherhood and the gospel. Some great examples and lessons have come from women close to me that haven't borne their own children...but have still been amazing Mothers....so THANK YOU!)

8 comments:

Jena said...

oh you amaze me! And i love everything i read from you blog! I'll hopefully be heading up north next weekend!:) So i'll hurry and e-mail you so we can get numbers exchanged! Love you girlie and happy mothers day!

Grammy said...

Dannie, You are such an amazing, artistic, expression-personified, talented woman. I loved your thoughts and the article. You and Hannah are as cute as daisies and fresh as springtime.
Love, Sharon

Allyson said...

Dannie,
Happy Mother's Day! I hope you know how much I love you and how grateful I am for the influence you have had in my life. Your example of strength and courage has enriched my life more than you know. You're such a wonderful Mom to Hannah. She's very lucky to have you for a Mom.
Allyson

Carolyn Nelson said...

Thank you for the very kind remarks. You need to be a novelist. I am sure you would have a best seller.

Love,

Aunt Carolyn

Shane & Amy said...

You guys are so cute in your matching skirts and Hannah is getting so big. I love reading your blog and looking at all of your latest projects.

Millers said...

Dannie, you are really amazing. I love reading your blog. Sorry I don't comment but really I do read and love looking at all the pictures and designs of your blog. It is so cute it makes me sad that ours isn't as cute. But anyway it sounds like things are great, and we miss you guys tons.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, let's try this again....

Dearest Dani,
As much as you have praised me, you are a person of the most amazing fortitude, diligence, love and commitment I have had the great God-given fortune to know. Boy, did the Lord give me so much more than I deserved when he sent you to me and your dad.
What a wonderful blog you have and I have to agree with others. You have a great talent for writing. Keep it up, you are now the third generation. I suspect that you'll be the one who does something with it!

love ya,
mom

mom said...

Dani,

I forgot to tell you how wonderful I thought those pictures were on that last blog page.
Hannah is growing so fast and is so cute. Your dad and I miss her and you all so much.
Hopefully we'll rectify that later this summer.
Love you
mom (who hopes that this one will go through--3rd time the charm?)